Good morning and welcome to our assembly,
Yesterday evening the Board of Management of Lanesboro Community College met online for the first time in its history. The discussions of this board are confidential but at the end of the meeting they asked me to pass on a message to you all. They wanted to congratulate each and every one of you for how well you have done as a school over the last two months. They spoke of the wonderful work of the teachers, students and parents and praised us for our efforts. It was a heart-warming moment for me and I wanted to share it with you all this morning in the hope that it will lift your spirits as well. We can’t forget to thank to the Board of Management for their kind words and hard work on our behalf.
Now a few announcements.
1. It’s Friday! Which means that the summer tests begin a little earlier at 9am for the 1st and 2nd years. The 3rd, TY and 5th years will start earlier at 11.30. Again, well done to you all for your excellent engagement with the tests. At this stage nearly every single one of our students have done their tests. For those who could not sit an exam because of other factors we would invite you to do them over the coming days.
2. This is why we urge you to do the tests. It is human nature to try and do the best we can. When we do a job we like to do it well. We get a sense of satisfaction on completing a task. In the same way we know that it actually feels good to complete a test and get it done. There is a sense of finishing the job, of completing the task. On the other hand, when we leave things undone it can undermine our commitment and self-belief. Finish the tests…finish out the year and be proud of your achievement.
3. The guidance documents for the Leaving Certificate have arrived. They are substantial. The teachers will be reading through them carefully over the weekend to make sure we understand them and can deliver the best possible outcomes for our Leaving Certs. As always my advice in situations like this is to stay calm, focus on the task in hand and don’t rush into anything. It will all work out. It always does.
4. The Board of Management of Lanesboro Community College has agreed the model for the assessing and reporting the achievements of our Junior Cycle students. This model will be emailed to you, and your parents will be notified by text.
5. Mr Donnelly is organising our own end of year event for all the school. If you have any ideas that you think might work send him on an email and we will see if we can incorporate them into the day. Ms Keenan and Ms Spence are working on the Grad night and we would ask those who still have tasks to complete to try and get them finished and sent in by this week.
Now we join Ms Keenan for today’s prayer
God gave me faith in myself,
not only on days when I’m going great and winning
and nothing seems impossible
but on days when the whole world looks lousy
and I’m losing and the road ahead seems too hard.
When I wonder if I’m brave enough, smart enough
and I must be crazy to try,
don’t let me quit Lord, not ever.
Let me keep the faith in myself.
No matter how many people
laugh at me…
think me a fool…
Don’t let me listen.
Let me hear another voice telling me,
“You can do it and you will!”
If nobody else in this world gives a darn or believes in me,
let me believe in myself.
I know there’ll be times when I will doubt my own abilities,
when I’ll be discouraged and on the verge of despair,
don’t let me give up,
hang onto me.
Fan the fires so that I’ll try even harder.
Give me more faith in myself.
Dear Lord, you are the source of life and power.
You are the source of my abilities and my faith.
Thank you for reinforcements.
I know that you will give me for what I ask…
Faith in myself.