Assembly 18 1 2021
I remember when LWETB used to hold an award ceremony for all its students every year. There were categories for sports, extracurricular activities, academic achievement, to name but a few. After the awards had been given out and the photos taken there would always be a guest speaker who oftentimes was a past pupil from the school hosting the event. One particular speech still sticks in my brain. It was about how this particular person did so well in their Leaving Cert. They said it was very simple. They did three things; they attended school every day, they listened to their teachers and every night they did their homework. That was it… no secret methods, no grinds, no studying for hours … just that simple routine , doing a little bit well and doing it every day.
The message was so simple and it has stuck with me ever since.
If you want to excel, do the simple things well!
Now for a few notices:
- Christmas reports should have arrived at this stage. Please study them carefully with your parents and take on board any advice that you were given. If you did well, congratulations and keep up the good work. If you feel that you could have done better then now is the time to make a fresh start. We are here to support you and help you get the best possible education.
- We had a good response to our survey on how online school is going with about 25% of ye responding…but we would like more! So if you haven’t already done so please complete this form.
- Attendance and participation are vital if you are to succeed in school. The majority of our students are logging into online school. If you are one of those who has not engaged then we will be in contact with you and your parents to see how we can support your return to school.
- If you need a device for school please contact us and we will source a laptop for your use during online schooling.
- A reminder that while we are keeping our minds busy during the school day that we don’t neglect our bodies or spirit. Take regular exercise and free your mind of worry by taking time out to do the things you enjoy.
- Student Council meeting today so if you have any concerns or matters you want raised be sure to contact your class representative.
- Finally as there will be a staff meeting at 3.30 today the last class will finish at 3.20
And now we take a moment to read the refection that Ms Keenan has prepared for us.
- Live your life on the basis of what is possible, right and good for you instead of what you or others think you should do.
- Find out what you want and what you are good at, value those, and take actions designed to fulfill your potential.
- Respect your own needs. Identify what really fulfills you – not just immediate gratification. Respecting your deeper needs will increase your sense of worth and well-being.
- Make decisions. Practice making and implementing positive choices flexibly but firmly, and trust yourself to deal with the consequences.